Oh yes, I’m sure you guessed it. That’s where I’ve been the last week. Discussing Colleges and planning the very near future with my precious eye roller Thing 1.
Starting in the 6th grade now our school systems hook these kids up with every piece of information needed to follow the yellow brick road to college. We went a step above and beyond and started the discussion with Thing 1 on her first day of preschool. Following the easy step by step guide to future planning I have reminded, begged and even resorted to a little bribery. I haven’t had much luck teaching the concept of time to someone who easily sends 15,000 text messages a month! UNTIL NOW!
I love the fact that Teenagers think they know everything but, the simple fact is if I let go of her hand just a little too soon she might actually drown!
If you are coming up to this stage I don’t really have much advice to offer. I will wish you the luck you will need to survive and gladly tell you what you can expect:
1. Teenagers have no idea how quickly their “future” is coming.
2. They will have no idea how to plan for it and you will not be able to help them because they will not want to listen.
3. You will warn them to study for the Pre-SAT and they will ignore you.
4. They will think they always have next week or next year to raise grades when their time is already coming to a close.
5. They will have zero understanding of the word “requirements.” If they do they will make up excuses about why it doesn’t apply to them.
6. They will also have ZERO understanding of the value of $1 much less $20,000. The first time the thought will even cross their mind is when you mention the word Junior College.
7. Thinking about the future will be the farthest thing from your Teenagers mind and the first thing on yours.
8. When you want to talk about it they will be too busy but, when they get desperate for your help they will suddenly have all the time in the world.
9. They will give you 1 days notice for an out of town College visit and then cry neglect when you have other children to tend to.
10. They will not have done anything you asked for the last three years and then expect you to drop everything at a moments notice and do it for them.
Oh, Thing 1. My Princess. My Dear. You are so special your like my own custom pain in the ass! Your notorious history for nonsense has never surprised me until now. Somehow you have managed to do something I never thought was possible. I always imagined myself on the day you were leaving as a big blubbering mess. Now, I can easily envision let’s say a ….. celebration of your success!
I’m going to stop, drop, and roll to help you because first and foremost you are my daughter and I love you. But, it might also have a little something to do with the fact that I could always count on you to bring back that special feeling in my tummy.
The Warm Fuzzy Sensation.
Take a bow for being the sole person responsible for helping me figure out. That feeling in my gut is the sweet sensation of being RIGHT! Thank you my darling. Without you I wouldn’t have a clue!
If you haven’t discussed colleges yet, I wish you the best of luck. Collegeoverview.com would be a great place to start.
This was not a sponsored post. I just wanted to share the website.
Thanks for reading. If you like my blog please share with your friends.